It's no small feat to hit one billion users! So as you would expect, Instagram decided to celebrate in style. They just debuted their newest video feature since Stories known as Instagram TV or IGTV. Many are already calling IGTV YouTube's rival because it offers TV for the modern mobile experience. This new feature is still fresh, but how can brands position themselves with Instagram's long-form video content feature? Here are the ins-and-outs of this new feature and seven ways businesses can use video content to leverage IGTV!
5 Years in the Making
The sheer power of Instagram's platform is worth admiring! Since Instagram launched video in 2013, they've done a great job of adapting to the market and staying relevant. Considering these stats, the rapid and impressive growth totally makes sense: Teens are watching 40% less TV than they used to and have shifted to watching creators on platforms like YouTube. This trend isn't just for the teens, though! Adults are changing the way they watch and create content, too. In general, people have been watching 60% more video on Instagram in the last years.
Introducing IGTV! Let's walk through the details:
- IGTV is an extension of the Instagram app, but you can also download its stand-alone app.
- You can navigate content via the 'For You' and 'Following', 'Popular', and 'Continue Watching' settings.
- IGTV encourages simple, high-quality content. It's not made for live streaming.
- Videos have to be uploaded. They're full-screen and vertical.
- Only verified accounts and big accounts can record up to 60 minutes. For now, most people have a limit of 10 minutes.
- Users can like or comment on videos or send videos to friends in Direct Messaging.
- Videos on IGTV can also be uploaded to Facebook Watch.
- No advertising options are available yet, but Instagram says future changes might make this possible.
3 Reasons Businesses Should Leverage IGTV
1. Like all new apps and features, the sense of novelty will drive viewers to check out and engage with the latest. So, this means it's a great opportunity for businesses to get in early while there's time to stand out and expand their reach and impact.
2. Also, this new long-form opportunity means brands can use longer, permanent video for deeper and richer storytelling. Since you're not limited to length or content, it means you can flex your creative muscle and show different dimensions of your business you might not have thought of before.
3. The huge community on Instagram means you can leverage the 800 million people on the platform looking to discover new brands and change up their content experience.
7 Video Ideas to Dive into Video Creation for your Business on IGTV!
1. Video Greetings and Introductions
Maybe you don't exactly how to use IGTV right away, but don't lose time! Don't be afraid to introduce yourself or your team on camera and let them know who your business is, what you do, and what they can expect from you on your new channel.
2. Interviews and Q&A
Sharing knowledge works well on any platform, so use IGTV to interview and highlight thought leaders in your industry or employees within your organization. A fun and creative Q&A could also work to establish a connection with your followers and customers, giving them more unique insight into your organization.
3. Exclusive Content
IGTV is an exclusive feature so consider making brand-new content made just for the new feature to highlight that fact. Netflix did the unexpected by posting this debut video to their channel:
4. How-to's and Tutorials
This is pretty straightforward, but feel free to walk people through your product or service so they can better engage with your brand. Have you ever gone down the rabbit hole and watched endless make-up tutorials? Being helpful and sharing tips and tricks related to your product or service is never a bad idea!A make-up tutorial From Kyle Cosmetics.
5. Repurpose Your Existing Video Content
If you're a company with an existing YouTube strategy, don't be afraid to repurpose content that worked well there! Many YouTubers have already uploaded existing videos to YouTube to get the ball rolling. (There's nothing wrong with doing this, just be sure to edit footage to fit the vertical format of IGTV video.) Also, if you have Instagram stories you'd like to feature in episode format, this could be a good place to do it!
6. Behind the Scenes
Have fun with this! People love to see the inner workings of a company because it makes you all the more human. Uploading behind the scenes video content could mean showcasing your team building time or your employees at work on a big project, campaign, or event.
7. Full-length Shows
Long form video content is great for educating, entertaining and standing out. If you have the production savvy and will-power, you can dedicate a team to producing and rolling out full-length episodes or shows. Currently, 10 minutes is the maximum you can upload unless you're a creator.
National Geographic has uploaded their latest series ' One Strange Rock' to IGTV
Want to watch our first IGTV episode?